Skip to main content

Read our FAQ on SEBB in 2021



For our members' benefit, AFT Washington is hosting this FAQ from the Washington State Health Care Authority regarding SEBB's updates this year. Open enrollment is limited, so be sure you're ready when the time comes.


Q. Will I continue to receive benefits next school year?

A. It depends. Several factors go into eligibility. In general, if you were enrolled in SEBB benefits in August of the previous school year, you will receive uninterrupted coverage from one school year to the next as long as you are returning to the same SEBB organization and are still anticipated to be eligible for the employer contribution for the coming school year. See How to determine eligibility for more information and additional eligibility criteria. Special eligibility also exists because of the COVID emergency. See Information about novel coronavirus (COVID-19)

Q. Why doesn't the SEBB Program offer short-term disability insurance?

A. The SEBB Program is unable to offer a short-term disability benefit that is better than the state's new Paid Family and Medical Leave Act (PFMLA).

Q. When do new employees start receiving benefits?

A. It depends on when they are hired. Learn more under How to Determine Eligibility.

Q. What plans will employees be automatically enrolled in if they don't choose any?

A.  If eligible employees do not enroll in or waive SEBB medical coverage during the SEBB timelines, they will be automatically enrolled in the benefits listed below. They will be charged the $25 tobacco use premium surcharge in addition to the monthly medical premium. Their dependents will not be enrolled. They won’t be able to change plans or enroll any eligible dependents until the next SEBB Program annual open enrollment or unless they have a special open enrollment event that allows the change, such as a marriage, birth, or adoption.

  • Medical: UMP Achieve 1, with a $33 monthly premium
  • Dental: Uniform Dental Plan
  • Vision: MetLife Vision
  • Basic life: MetLIfe
  • Basic accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D): MetLife
  • Basic long-term disability (LTD): The Standard

Q. What other benefits are available for me?

A. The SEBB Program offers a Dependent Care Assistance Program, Medical Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA), life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and long-term disability insurance. See Additional Benefits.

(These additional benefits are not eligible if your school district, charter school, or ESD negotiated eligibility as described in WAC 182-30-130.)

Q. What is the difference between the insurance plan year and the school year?

A. The insurance plan year for the SEBB Program is a calendar year, January 1 through December 31. The school year, as defined in RCW 28A.150.203(11), is September 1 through August 31. Your benefit eligibility and coverage period are based on the school year. Plan choices and deductibles are based on the calendar year. See How to determine eligibility.

Q. What is SEBB My Account?

A. SEBB My Account is the online enrollment application school employees use to enroll in and manage their benefits. Visit Help with SEBB My Account login.

Q. What happens if I move to another school district?

A. You will have uninterrupted coverage when moving from one SEBB organization (school district, ESD, or charter school) to another within the same month or a consecutive month if:

  • You were eligible for the employer contribution toward SEBB benefits in the position you are leaving; and
  • You are anticipated to be eligible for the employer contribution toward SEBB benefits in your new position.

See how to determine eligibility for more information.

If you move to a job in a different county, your available plan options may change. See Medical plans by county. If the medical plan you were enrolled in is not available in the county you have moved to, you can change your medical plan within 60 days of moving (see SEBB Policy 45.2A.)

Q. What documents do I need to enroll a dependent?

A. A list of acceptable documents is available on the Dependent verification webpage.

Q. What are the premium surcharges?

A. A $25 per-account tobacco use premium surcharge and a $50 spouse or state-registered domestic partner coverage premium surcharge could be added to your monthly premium. See Surcharges,



Share This